17 April 2009

Of Dreams and Nightmares

Louis Anquetin, Reading women (1890)Image via Wikipedia

BOOK REVIEW

BOOK: Of Dreams and Nightmares

AUTHOR: Shirley A. Roe

PUBLISHER: Real Time Publishing

ISBN-13: 978-1413743374

RATING: 5 stars




Recently I read the second book (The Whittaker Family Reunion) in the series of books that Shirley A. Roe is writing about the Whittaker family in the 1800's. I couldn't put that book down! So, I felt very privileged to be able to read the first book in the series, titled Of Dreams and Nightmares.

As soon as this book arrived in the mail, I started reading. Again, I couldn't put the book down!

I believe that it is an amazing feat to engage a person that does not like the subject of history in a history book that depicts so well the era. History lessons are in abundance in this book and I learned things about the early settlers in America and England that I didn't know before.

This story is about Martha from her late teens as a privileged society girl in England that had it all, to terrors unimaginable - the worst of the worst that a female could go through, to maturing, self reliance and then to a winning family life.

The characters come alive in the story and you find yourself being totally engrossed with their lives. It's full of emotional impact, including love stories. One wonders how the author could fit so much action within this book of 250 pages!

It's a wonderful book. Pick it up and read it! I'm sure that you will also become a fan of Shirley A. Roe eagerly reading each book as it is published.

.-.-.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment